Cred (check remote document) is a Bash script that checks an online page or file and warns you if it has changed since the last check. It can report changes — and, optionally, lack thereof — by internal email or in your terminal, and it supports all the Internet protocols supported by Wget.
It’s also well suited to run as a cron job.
Version 1.0 — released on September 7, 2022 — includes the following improvements:
- NEWman page!
- NEWa custom working directory for downloaded documents can be chosen:
$ CREDDIR=/var/tmp cred ...
(or you can let cred choose a standard one for you);
- NEWif a working directory (either standard or custom) contains a directory called cred, all downloaded documents will be stored there;
- NEWan alternative host to ping for Internet connection checking can be specified:
$ PINGSERVER=pingme.example.invalid cred -N ...
- NEWat startup, cred checks that all needed programs are installed and available;
- NEWif a suitable emailer is not found, cred will fall back on reporting to stdout, instead of aborting operation;
- Fixedcertain complex URLs could cause errors in previous versions of cred;
- Fixedthe -v option wasn’t increasing verbosity as intended.
“Cred” is Copyright ©
Dario Niedermann — Released with no warranty under the terms
of the GPLv3 license. Written and tested on Linux using GNU tools.